Wrocław Contemporary Theatre, Big Stage
The building at 12 Rzeźnicza Street, which now houses the Theatre, was erected in 1929. Founded in 1947 and renamed the Wrocław Contemporary Theatre in 1967, the Theatre has a spacious two-storey foyer and three performance spaces: the 231-seat Big Stage, the Attic Stage and the Small Stage.
The Contemporary Theatre’s artistic profile was defined by Tadeusz Różewicz, Helmut Kajzar and Tymoteusz Karpowicz from the early 1970s. Acclaimed directors who have worked at the Theatre include Jerzy Jarocki, Józef Szajna, Krzysztof Warlikowski, Jan Klata, Piotr Cieplak, Michał Zadara, Barbara Wysocka, Agnieszka Olsten, Agata Duda-Gracz and Lech Raczak. The film directors Kazimierz Kutz, Radosław Piwowarski and Sylwester Chęciński mounted their first stage productions here. For many years, Directors Andrzej Witkowski, Kazimierz Braun and Krystyna Meissner promoted and created auteur productions at 12 Rzeźnicza Street. The current Director, Marek Fiedor, took over the reins in 2012.
From 2001 to 2011, the Contemporary Theatre played host to six editions of the Dialog-Wrocław International Theatre Festival. In 2014, together with the City of Wrocław, it launched a multi-pronged project called Contact Zone, which encompasses a playwriting competition, readings and premieres. The first instalment of the project is currently underway as part of the European Capital of Culture 2016.